Homemade Eggnog Infused with Oolong Tea
The perfect festive tea-infused treat for the holiday season. It's quick, easy and screams Christmas! The Dark Roast Sumatra Oolong tea provides a beautiful balance and depth to the creamy traditional flavour of he eggnog. It's the perfect tipple to leave out for Santa.
For the custard:
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup brown cane sugar
1/8 cup white cane sugar
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp Dark Roast Sumatra Oolong Tea
2 drops vanilla
3/4 teaspoon freshly and very finely grated nutmeg
2 to 3 ounces bourbon whiskey
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon white sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and half of each of the sugars. Mix until well combined.
- Add whole milk, heavy cream, tea leaves and the rest of the sugar in a saucepan on low heat.
- Constantly stir the milk mixture and wait until it simmers. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Using a skimmer, remove the tea leaves from the milk mixture.
- Ladle some of the milk mixture into the egg mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer the egg mixture back to the milk mixture and stir and cook until the mixture is thick and it coats the back of the spoon.
- Take it off the heat, add the vanilla, nutmeg and salt. You can add your whiskey now if you plan on adding.
- Put the custard mixture in a large pitcher or glass jar and chill for a few hours until it is really cold.
- Once it is cold to your liking, get a bowl and a whisk and whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Take out your custard base and spoon ¼ of the meringue into your custard base.
- Mix thoroughly to lighten the custard mixture. Fold in the rest of the meringue mixture. Be careful not to overmix, you might knock-out most of the air from the meringue.
- Chill for another hour and serve. Mix thoroughly before pouring into a glass.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg on top.
Leave a comment
We would love to hear what you think. Leave us your thoughts on this article.